Easter cooking rituals for many families include breakfast or brunch, or a formal feast to celebrate the spring holiday. Home cooks prepared for all of the above last week (March 18-24, 2016), searching for the tastiest Easter, appetizers, side dishes, desserts, and breakfast casseroles—and yes, gluten-free crescent rolls. Here’s a recap of the past week’s top search terms and recipe trends.
- A cheesy, egg based Easter Breakfast Casserole received the largest week-over-week increase in page views and prints
- For cooks planning meaty dinners, Beef Stroganoff III showed its appeal with the largest increase in Favorites
- Gluten-free followers ate up soft and creamy Gluten-Free Crescent Rolls, making it the week’s most popular new recipe
Top Search Terms
It was all about Easter when it came to the fastest-growing search terms driving traffic to the site last week. Unlike Thanksgiving when cooks have specific dishes in mind, most Easter cooks searched by category rather than specific recipes, seeking tried-and-true inspiration for the big meal. The fastest-growing week-over-week search term driving traffic to the site last week was easter side dishes. Other fast-growing search terms driving traffic to the site included easter bread recipes, easter appetizer ideas, pineapple stuffing, and easter dessert ideas.
The fastest growing internal search terms week over week were more specific and included seasonal favorites such as deviled eggs, scalloped potatoes, carrot cake, monkey bread, and banana pudding. Yum!
Top 10 Year-Over-Year Keywords
Let’s hear it for scalloped potatoes and carrot cake! These two favorites were standouts last week (March 18-24, 2016). A comparison of this year’s top search terms with those the same week in 2015 put Easter recipes out in front, a status reflecting the earlier 2016 date of Easter. Last week’s top 10 terms were exclusively about Easter dishes and favorite recipes with the exception of searches targeting Allrecipes.com.
FASTEST-GROWING Year-Over-Year KEYWORD (External) SEARCHES (March 18-24, 2016)
(Year-over-Year Percent Change)
- www.allrecipes.com +1,080%
- Scalloped potatoes recipe +282%
- Allrecipes recipes +251%
- Easter salads +164%
- Easter appetizers +143%
- Easter cupcakes +140%
- Easter dinner side dishes +140%
- Easter dinner ideas +134%
- Carrot cake recipes +108%
- Easter desserts ideas +107%
Do you want to try making gluten-free crescent rolls–even if you’re not gluten-free?