Is your fridge chockablock with storage containers of leftover Easter ham or turkey? Are you a soup or salad type? Ham bone in or ham bone out for the soup? You have company. Last week’s (March 25-31, 2016) top search terms were all about home cooks on a mission: to use up remnants from the holiday meal. Soup and leftover ham recipes captured the most attention, and they also got excited about new ideas for preparing chicken and pork chops. A chicken, asparagus and pasta casserole combo was another hit. (No new recipes were published last week.) Read on for a complete overview of what was percolating last week in American kitchens.
- Super delicious and super simple made only with mayo and seasoned bread crumbs, Amazing Chicken had the largest increase last week in page views
- Nirvana for pasta-lovers and a sign of spring, Penne with Chicken and Asparagus tallied the largest week-over-week increase in prints
- An easy stovetop preparation with garlic, onions, basil, oregano and bell peppers, Pork Chops Italiano pulled rank as the week’s most popular Favorite
Top Search Terms
Easter dinner leftovers and blustery winter weather made soup welcome, inspiring much of last week’s search term traffic. The fastest-growing week-over-week search term driving traffic to the site was recipes for leftover ham. Other fast-growing search terms driving traffic to the site last week included leftover ham recipes, split pea soup with ham, basic ham and bean soup, and ham bone soup.
A similar story prompted the fastest-growing week-over-week internal search terms. These ranked as ham soup, ham salad, split pea soup, turkey soup, and turkey gravy.
Top 10 Year-Over-Year Keywords
The leftover beat continued last week (March 27- April 2, 2016) with searches for leftover ham recipes, soup, and potato side dishes topping the key word search list. Because Easter happened earlier in 2016 compared with 2015, Easter dinner-related external search terms were far out in front of last year’s searches.
FASTEST-GROWING Year-Over-Year KEYWORD (External) SEARCHES (March 27-April 2, 2016)
(Year-over-Year Percent Change)
- Recipes for leftover ham +239%
- Leftover ham recipes +171%
- Brussels sprouts recipes +124%
- Split pea soup with ham +120%
- Scalloped potatoes recipe +117%
- Sweet potato recipe +83%
- Ham glaze +82%
- Allrecipes recipes +77%
- Ham bone soup +77%
- Ham salad +57%%
What is your favorite leftover dish from the Easter feast?