Bring on a blizzard! Dinner tonight will be delightful. Make it meaty, hearty, and casserole filling. Classics such as pot roast, meatloaf in a crock pot, spaghetti and meatballs, and lasagna hit the target last week (January 8 – 14, 2016) for Allrecipes’ home cooks. All four topped the list of most popular recipes and fastest-growing search terms, along with a veggie variation of lasagna prepared with roasted butternut squash. Snacks and munchies also appealed. (Think football game fare!) A variation of the classic Chex® Mix earned first place among the newest recipes. Here’s a recap of the week’s trending recipes and search terms:
- Easiest Pot Roast Ever, ready when you are in its slow cooker, received the largest increase in page views last week, along with the largest increase in Recipe Box saves
- A forever-favorite for Allrecipes’ cooks, World’s Best Lasagna recipe saw the largest week-over-week increase in prints
- Game plan for football snacks! The most popular new recipe was Spicy Buffalo Chex® Mix
Top Search Terms
Trends show up fast on Allrecipes, whether weather is a factor or demographics. The fastest-growing week-over-week search term driving traffic to the site last week reflected winter meal searches, along with America’s growing number of single households. The top external search term was cooking for one. Other fast-growing search terms in the external search category were all about answering the “What’s for Dinner?” question. They included loose meat sandwich, roasted butternut squash and garlic lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, and crock pot meatloaf.
The fastest-growing week-over-week internal search terms also included dinner ideas, plus some sweet inspiration: Dutch babies, chocolate cream cheese frosting, éclair, honey Dijon chicken, and taco ring.\
Top 10 Year-Over-Year Keywords
Are home cooks predictable when searching for recipes? Yes and no. Comparing last week’s (January 8 – 14, 2016) Top 10 external search terms with their ranking a year ago indicates Brussels sprouts are no longer just for Thanksgiving dinner — they’re still popular in January — and, true to predictable January trends, searches for healthy dinner ideas are consistently appealing.
FASTEST-GROWING Year-Over-Year KEYWORD (External) SEARCHES (January 8 – 14, 2016)
- Brussels sprouts recipes +145% (Year-over-Year Percent Change)
- Dinner ideas +97%
- Parmesan chicken +97%
- Healthy dinner ideas +71%
- General Tso chicken recipe +57%
- Mashed potatoes recipe +54%
- Coleslaw dressing recipe +54%
- Spaghetti +42%
- How to make fried rice +38%
- Broccoli-cheese soup recipe +26%
What is your favorite dish for a winter dinner?